Raya assessed and shaped the initial material to improve its organization and content. She suggested changes to the writer and verified that the changes improve the logic and flow of the novel. Structural editing included:
- revising, reordering, cutting, or expanding material
- suggesting topics and story arcs for new original material (with the author writing the new material)
- determining whether permissions are necessary for third-party material
- clarifying plot, characterization, or thematic elements
Stylistic and copyediting
Raya edited the manuscript to clarify the meaning, ensure coherence and flow, and refine the language, including:
- eliminating jargon, clichés, repetitions and euphemisms
- establishing or maintaining the language level appropriate for the intended audience, medium, and purpose
- adjusting the length and structure of sentences and paragraphs
- establishing or maintaining tone, mood, style, and authorial voice or level of formality
Raya edited the novel for correctness, accuracy, consistency and completeness, including:
- editing for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage
- checking for consistency and continuity of mechanics and facts, including anachronisms, character names, and relationships
- developing a style sheet or following one that is provided
- correcting or querying general information that should be checked for accuracy
- Americanizing the language
- converting measurements
Raya checking the accuracy of facts, dates and places in the novel by referring to authoritative sources.
The author has consulted Raya on the best way to publish the novel, on the cover art and also on other elements that go into preparing the manuscript for publishing.
Ana has always struggled to find where she would fit as she always felt different from the other kids in the town. She could never realize her true worth or what it would mean to be loved by someone until she met Inês. Planning and working together on a coup might be impossible for some, but Ana and Inês can’t seem to have it any other way.
Please note that Raya did not edit the front or back matter on the final manuscript.