My name is Raya P Morrison
I'm a freelance stylistic and copy editor and proofreader, working with fiction, non-fiction, poetry and marketing materials. My favourite genres to work with are literary fiction, magical realism, fantasy, YA, and non-fiction on travel, spirituality, and music.
I own and operate a literary journal called Blood & Bourbon, where I curate the published pieces and manage talent and editorial staff among other things. I also work with independent authors, publishing houses, and companies on a project-to-project basis. In the evenings, I volunteer my time being a co-chair of Editors Toronto, Editors Canada's largest branch and read tarot cards.
I might or might not talk your ear off about music and music history, tarot and divination, calligraphy, highland dancing, yoga and meditation, minimalism and sustainable living, and web accessibility. I will at the same time maintain a professional demeanour. The health and progress of your manuscript will always come first. I hope you're in for the ride!
My Professional Highlights
◦ Professional editor with over seven years of experience and certification from George Brown College.
◦ Co-chair of Editors Toronto, the largest branch of Editors Canada, for the 2020–21 and 2021-22 terms.
◦ Editors Toronto communications chair for the 2019–20 term.
◦ Owner and editor-in-chief of the semi-annual literary journal Blood & Bourbon.
◦ Speaker for various Editors Editors Canada events on the topics of website design and accessibility in 2020-21.
◦ Recipient of Volunteer of the Month for Editors Canada, awarded in February 2020.
◦ Lead on the Foundational Skills Testing Platform task force for Editors Canada in summer 2019.
◦ Lead on the green initiative at Diamond Integrated Marketing since 2018.
◦ Recipient of Killin’ It Award at Diamond Integrated Marketing in 2017 for going beyond the tasks of the role.
◦ Recipient of a Company Spirit Award at Stephen Thomas Ltd in 2016 for embracing company vision.
◦ Held the Certified Associate in Project Management designation from Project Management Institute from 2015 to 2020.
"Raya is knowledgeable, intelligent, professional and she possesses an outstanding, and rare, spirit and energy level. It was a pleasure to work with Raya.” –Mark Susnik, Manager, Tech Department, IRIS Power